Texts: 1 Peter 1:4-16, Hebrews 12:14, 1 Thessalonians 5:27
Memory verse: 1 Peter 1:15
There is one characteristic of God that cannot be changed or negotiated. It is holiness. Our God is a holy God. The Scriptures clearly prove this fact. The Almighty has established that those who worship Him must do so out of a sincere and pure heart. He is holy and therefore, demands this same attribute from every one of His children. Jesus came and His exemplary life is the encouragement that we can live holy lives by faith (Hebrews 4:15-16). As believers, holiness should be our watchword. 1 Thessalonians 4:7.
What is holiness?
- Holiness is obedience to the word of God. Genesis 22:1-2, 12; 1 Samuel 15:22
- Holiness is honesty. 1 Peter 2:12
- Holiness is living up to God’s standards.
- Holiness is to fear God – doing in secret what you wouldn’t be ashamed if God should reveal to another.
- Holiness is purity of heart. Matthew 5:8
- Holiness is righteousness in our motives and actions. Romans 6:19, 12:1-2
- Holiness is overcoming temptation, lust and evil desires of the flesh. 1 John 2:15-17
- Holiness is putting away the old man and putting on the new man. Ephesians 4:22-24
Why is holiness important?
- Holiness is God’s command. 1 Peter 1:15-16, 1 Thessalonians 4:7
- Only holy people can access the mysteries of God. Psalm 25:14, Amos 3:7.
- To be filled with the Holy Spirit, you have to be holy.
- The Holy Spirit is grieved at seeing ungodliness in His vessels. Ephesians 4:30
- Holiness is our identification with God and His children. 1 Peter 1:15
- You can’t fully experience God if you are not holy. Matthew 5:8
- Backsliding is closer as holiness is farther.
- It gives us the power to be effective witnesses for Jesus. 1 Thessalonians 2:10
- Heaven will not permit any unclean thing. Revelation 21:8, 27
What can we do to answer the call?
- Repent from every known sin. Acts 2:38; 1 John 1:9, 2:1-2
- Avoid contamination and pollution. 1 Peter 2:11, Isaiah 35:8
- Keep godly friends. 1 Corinthians 15:33
- Pray continually without getting discouraged. Matthew 26:40, 41; 1 Thessalonians 5:17
- Be a Bible addict. Psalm 119:11, Joshua 1:8
- Proceed on deliverance. Obadiah 1:17
- Attend services regularly. Hebrews 10:25
Remember, as a child of God, the Most High has great plans for you (Jeremiah 29:11). You have been called, chosen and cultivated for the purpose of bringing praise to Him (1 Peter 2:9, John 15:16). However, He demands our wholehearted cooperation on this issue of holiness and He is not ready to bend. Our duty and passion must be to be holy, just like Him. Refusal to do so is equivalent to rebellion and disobedience to God. Revelation 22:11.
- Does being holy exempt us from temptations?
- “Holiness is just a doctrine. It is not required by all Christians.” True or False? How would you respond to such a statement?
- Is a holy life insurance against our natural desires?
How do you deal with a person with a “holier-than-thou” attitude?
Message by Victor Umeh Images from Google.
Pst Zino Genesis
Facebook: Pst Zino Genesis
Please feel free to ask me any question.