TEXT: Job 37:1-24
MEMORY VERSE: Isaiah 40:28 “Hast thou not known? hast thou not heard, that the everlasting God, the LORD, the Creator of the ends of the earth, fainteth not, neither is weary? there is no searching of his understanding” (KJV).
An attribute is a quality or feature regarded as a characteristic or inherent part of someone or something. The attribute of a person is, therefore, the characteristics he has that shape his behavior.
God does make Himself known in a variety of ways and through what he reveals about Himself in His Word and in His creation. When we talk about the attributes of God, we are trying to talk about: WHO IS GOD? WHAT IS HE LIKE? and WHAT KIND OF GOD IS HE?
GOD is the ONLY One Who never changes. His Name, His Character, remains the same through all generations. He is the One and Only. His hands are Strong, Mighty and Secure. He displays His power every day in the world set on unseen Pillars, the Sunrise, the Sunset and the Stars in the sky.
God is unlike anyone or anything we could ever know or imagine. He is One of a kind, unique and without comparison. Our words simply cannot do justice to describe our Holy and Great God.
We cannot fathom the mysteries of God. Job 36:26, 37:23-24.
WHO IS GOD? WHAT IS HE LIKE? and WHAT KIND OF GOD IS HE?
1) ETERNAL (SELF EXISTENT): God has no beginning or end. He just exists. He was already there before the Creation.
He created all things. He is Eternal, Immortal, and Infinite.
YAHWEH is His Name. Exodus 3:13-14; Psalm 90:1-2.
2) TRINITY: Although God revealed Himself in three Persons, God is ONE. He appeared in the Father form, SON form, and the HOLY SPIRIT form. It depends on when He wants to operate. God is One Divine Being in Three offices. Genesis 1:1-3, 26; Matthew 28:19.
3) SOVEREIGN: God is Supreme. He rules His entire Creation. He is unfathomable, unsearchable, and past finding out as far as understanding it completely. He is in control of everything that happens; although man still has a free will, and is responsible for his choices and actions in life. Romans 11:33-36.
4) INFINITE: God is boundless, limitless, and impossible to measure or calculate. No man can search out His understanding. He has no age or boundaries. Isaiah 40:28; Colossians 1:17.
5) OMNIPOTENT: God possesses infinite power. He is all Powerful. He expends no energy that must be replenished. He can do anything that pleases Him. God allows us to have some power but this in no way diminishes His own. Though He rested on the seventh day, this doesn’t imply that He was tired and He needed rest. It was to set an example for us and our need for rest. Jeremiah 32:17, 27.
6) OMNISCIENT: God possesses infinite knowledge and therefore, has no need to learn. He is all knowing. It is impossible to hide anything from Him. He knows the past, present, and future including what you are thinking at any given moment. Genesis 6:5; Zechariah 4:10b.
7) OMNIPRESENT: God knows no bounds. So, clearly, He is everywhere. He is with us and the fullness of His presence is all around us. The knowledge that we do not alone calm the troubled seas of our lives and speaks to our troubled soul. Deuteronomy 31:8; Hebrews 13:5.
8) WISE: God knows no mistakes. We cannot understand His wisdom and His ways. For it is by wisdom He founded the earth. I Corinthians 1:25; Psalm 104:24.
9) SELF SUFFICIENT: God has no needs and He has never been in need of anything. God cannot improve on Himself. He doesn’t need our help with anything. He is Self-sufficient Psalm 50:12.
10) FAITHFUL: God does not lie. Everything that He has spoken or promised will come to pass. He remains incorruptible. I Samuel 15:29; Hebrew 6:18
11) IMMUTABLE: God never changes. His character never changes. He never gets ‘better’ or ‘worse’. God is dependable. Psalm 102:27; Malachi 3:6a; Hebrew 13:8.
12) GRACIOUS: God enjoys giving great gifts to those who love Him even when they do not deserve it. If it were not Grace, His holiness would exclude us from His presence. Psalm 145:8.
13) HOLY: This attribute sets God apart from all created beings. He has no sin or evil thought in Him at all. He is separated from all moral defilement. It refers to His Majesty and His perfect moral purity. Psalm 93:5; Isaiah 6:3. God sees all evils and it angers Him. Jeremiah 23:20.
14) LOVE: God’s love is not that of emotion but of action. It is an important part of God’s Character. I John 4:7b, 8b.
15) GOOD: The goodness of God is that which proves Him to be Kind, Cordial, Benevolent, and full of goodwill towards man. Psalm 34:8; Nahum 1:7.
16) MERCIFUL: This is the attribute of God which actively shows His compassion. Mercy is the goodness of God confronting human suffering and guilt. Mercy is the way He desires to relate to us mankind unless the person chooses to despise or ignore Him. Psalm 108:4; 103:17.
17) JEALOUS: God is a jealous God. Exodus 20:5; 34:14; Deuteronomy 4:24. He never winks at any form of idolatry; He doesn’t share His glory with any. Isaiah 42:8; Nahum 1:2.
18) JUST: God is just. His being just brings moral equity to everyone. And that was why Jesus had to experience God’s wrath when our sins were placed on Him. Romans 3:21-26. God will no Passover wrongdoing that is not repented of. He will never quit the wicked guiltless. The saved gets mercy and the unsaved get justice. Nobody gets injustice. Exodus 34:5-7; Zephaniah 3:5; Romans 2:2.
Acknowledgments: Message by Pst Christiana
Jesus Cares Life Church
Pst Zino Genesis
Facebook: Pst Zino Genesis
Please feel free to ask me any question.