The Bible has warned us not to do evil, in this same verse teaches us how to do well. It is not sufficient only to avoid the occasion of sinning but we should study the methods of avoiding them.
1. We must have a continual regard to the word of God and endeavor that it may be always ready to us.
Wisdom & understanding must be our principle guide & teacher. Proverbs 4:7.
We must receive them readily: ” incline thy ear to them, humbly bow to them; diligently listen to them.”
The attentive hearing of the word of God is a good sign of a work of grace begun in the heart and a good means of carrying it on.
We must retain them carefully and lay them before us as ” Our Rule.”
” Let them not depart from thy eyes; view them, review them and in everything aim to conform to them.” We must lodge them within us as a commanding principle, the influences of which are diffused throughout the whole man: ” keep them in the midst of thy heart, as things dear to thee, and which thou art afraid of losing.”
Let the word of God be written in the heart, and that which is written there will remain.
– The reason why we must thus make much of the words of wisdom is because they will both food and physic to us, like the tree of life, Rev. 22:2; Eze 47:12. Those that seek and find them, find and keep them, shall find in them.
2. We must keep a watchful eye and a strict hand upon all the motions of our inward man Proverbs 4:23 is a great duty required by wisdom, and in order to our getting and preserving wisdom: keep thy heart with all diligence. God, who gave us these souls, gave us a strict charge with them: Man, Woman, keep thy heart; take heed to thy spirit. Deu 4:9. We must maintain a holy jealousy of ourselves, and set a strict guard, accordingly, upon all avenues of the soul; keep our heart from doing hurt and getting hurt, from being defiled by sin and disturbed by trouble; keep them as our jewel, as our vineyard; keep a conscience void of offense; keep our bad thoughts; keep up good thoughts: keep the affections upon right objects and things.
There are many ways of keeping things- by care, by strength, by calling in help, and we must use them all in keeping our hearts.
– We must also keep our eyes (Job 31:1a); Our tongues (Psalm 34:13); keep our feet (Eccl 5:1); but above all,” Our Hearts.” A good reason is that ” Out of it are the Issues of Life.” Out of a heart well kept will flow living issues, good product to the glory of God.
3. We must set a watch before the door of our lips, that we offend not with our tongue Pro 4:24: ” Put away from Thee froward mouth and perverse lips
4. We must make a covenant with our eyes: ” Let them look right on and straight before thee, Proverbs 4:25. Let the eye be fixed and not wandering; let it not robe after everything that presents itself, for then it will be diverted from good and ensnared in evil. Turn it from beholding vanity; let thy eye be single and not divided; let thy intention be sincere and uniform.”
We must keep our eye upon our Master, keep our eye upon our rule, and conform to that; We must keep our eye upon our mark, ” the price of the calling ” Phil 2:14.
5. We must act considerately in all we do Proverbs 4:26: ponder the path of thy feet, weigh it; ” put the word of God in on scale, and what thou has done, or art about to do, in order, see how thy agree; be nice and critical in examining whether thy way be good before The Lord and whether it will end well.”
We must consider our past ways and examine what we have done, and our present ways, what we are doing, and see that we walk circumspectly. ( with cautions ).
We must act with steadiness, cautions, and consistency: ” Let all thy ways be established Proverbs 4:26 and be not unstable in them, as the double-minded man is. Turn not to the right hand nor to the left: remove thy feet from Evil.
Many people dream of sin, imagine sin, and—if granted the opportunity—would indulge in sin. All they lack is the occasion to sin. So, in the sight of God, they are sinners as great as though they actually had committed immorality. All transgressions begin with sinful thinking.
You who have come to Christ for a pure heart, guard against the pictures of lewdness and sensuality which Satan flashes upon the screen of your imagination, select with care the books you read, choose discerningly the kind of entertainment you attend, the kind of associates with whom you mingle, and the kind of environment in which you place yourself. You should no more allow sinful imaginations to accumulate in your mind and soul than you would let garbage collect in your living room.
For more information and counseling:
Pst Zino Genesis
Facebook: Pst Zino Genesis
Please feel free to ask me any question.
Reblogged this on Olayemirichard's Blog and commented:
Is either it makes you better person or other wise, so learn to control it.
LikeLiked by 1 person